Monday, September 21, 2009

Discovery - One More Look

Discovery is now back at the Kennedy Space Center, safe and sound. Here then, is one last look at the 747 carrier aircraft as it left Edwards AFB yesterday morning with Discovery on its back. It is difficult to describe the awe one feels as 710,000 lbs of hurtling metal flies past at 185 knots a couple hundred yards from where you're standing. Breathtaking is putting it mildly.

Physics is a wonderful thing. There is no way, you tell yourself, that something that massive can fly; yet fly it does. I'm glad I finally got to see it in person.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I saw this go down when I was visiting my relatives in Huston one summer (I think I was 11). You never forget the excitement and the wondering how the hell the airplane is going to get off the ground! Sweet shot, beautiful lighting. Tell your better half to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shot. I like the transition of the sky, with the peach below shading into the blue.

    ReplyDelete