Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Pueblo churches of New Mexico

Today we did the grand tour of pueblo churches. One of the most well known of these is El Santuario de Chimayo' (above). I confess I was very surprised by the amount of buildings surrounding the church, which I struggled to keep out of the frame of the pictures. I must of had the classic photographs of the church in mind - which were shot 80 years ago, or more, if memory serves - and did not have the surrounding structures. It is always disconcerting to realize that time doesn't stand still. Nevertheless, it was very interesting playing around with compositions.

I like this particular shot as the arch of the entryway matches the shape of the hills in the background.

These interesting stone arches were in the "back forty" of the Chimayo' church by the stream.

We took the "high road" to Taos and along the way went through Las Trampas where we found the San Jose' de Garcia Church (above). It was not as cluttered as Chimayo' and I was able to get a few nice shots.


Our last stop was the famous St. Francis of Assissi Church in Taos. I've always been enamored by its architectural shape and was very pleased to finally get to shoot it. I got so inspired I broke out the medium format camera and took some black and white images. Hopefully they will turn out.





Finally, I could not leave out one shot of a colorful New Mexico doorway and hanging chili peppers. This was one of the surrounding building to the St. Francis Church in Taos. These look like they've been there many years.

Tomorrow: Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch, the haunts of Georgia O'Keefe.

No comments:

Post a Comment