Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lily Pad Study #1 - Huntington Gardens

I don't know why, but I find lily pads very peaceful. They are also very photogenic in both black and white and color. I think what attracts me is the reflective quality of the water mixed with the shape, texture and colors and/or tones of the plant. The various ponds at the Huntington Library and Gardens offer some very nice lily pads and I never tire of shooting them. These were at the base of the Japanese bridge in the previous post and shot on the same evening. They make a rather complimentary set of photos.

1 comment:

  1. I love your B&W pictures. B&W works particularly well for structural elements like the Japanese bridge in the picture below, but in this picture I miss the contrast of green against water. I think the problem is that there aren't any strong whites so the leaves don't pop against the dark background.

    ReplyDelete